Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Who needs a movie mode anyway....

If you haven't seen it yet Nikon has released the Nikon D90 replacing the D80.
Quite a few changes and I am sure some of them inspired by the D300, D700 and D3 meaning you get quite a bit for the $$

One thing (being used to handling a SLR) I had been wondering about is the live view... Who would use that anyway??? being a lcd screen and giving a posture for holding the camera that doesn't really support it too good it's kind of well something to have to compete with the point and click ahh well Guess it can be good at times ;-)

But one thing that I thought was completely (hmm how do I put this right)... well let's say a feature that I figured would be useless at best and only add to the cost of the camera...

HD movie mode

Granted it's nice to have all in one... But have you printed a hi-res photo on one of those all-in-one (printer, scanner, fax) printers lately? yeah....

So I was thinking. Take a $995 camera and just make it do everything (except making coffee... still waiting on that one) and yeah it will only add to the cost and be a feature you will never use.

Today however I saw a post from a newspaper photographer recording HD video while being in the field (for good reference the paper is the British Guardian).

Check out this one:


Nikon D90 in Tibet from Dan Chung on Vimeo.


and a few links here for the full HD experience:
http://vimeo.com/1810729
http://vimeo.com/1728575
http://vimeo.com/1721300

However pessimistic I was about it... WOW

The cool feature is of course that you can use all the lenses you already have which means well that's cool :-)

oh btw. For Canon check out this one: One Night in Beijing


3 comments:

Krista said...

Okay, I wanna know, is this camera with the video mode still only $995? That's a heck of a deal!

Pdyrholm said...

sorry my bad....
it's $999.95 msrp ;-)

But yeah it's a pretty decent deal. The price is set at that point to break the $1.000 barrier which was the purpose with the D80 and now again with the D90. I think that will stay for the Dxx series.

but... don't really have that kind of money around for a camera...

I am a Tornado ~ proven fact! said...

oooooooh, sounds pretty cool.

I'm stuck (and very happily stuck) with my d40.

It's easy - and I need EASY.

I really really really want a 500mm lens ... that is my next purchase, and probably won't happen for a VERY long while!