Wednesday, January 14, 2009

From the great outdoors...

Sooo I had a few opportunities for taking the camera outdoors over the weekend. That as you would know is pretty cool :-) However that particular weekend of course had to be rainy, cold and windy. So I did a few photos with the birds in front of the house and as you can see it was a little wet for them...







Ok I have to admit that Sunday morning is kind of slow for me. I am not exactly jumping out of bed at 4am to run out and get some great photos. But Emma spotted a new visitor on our deck and well I thought it would be long gone before I would have a chance to take a photo through the kitchen and windows.

But I got that one :-) As you can see the distance, light and window didn't do the photo much good though.



When it took off it landed in a tree in the back yard. So on to the next window...
yeah shooting through the window and with the screen it didn't really work too good either.



Knowing there was a chance it would fly away I was sneaking out on the deck. Yeah no time for silly things like a jacket, shoes and all those comforts. So tip-toeing over the wet and might I add Cold deck wasn't really a big pleasure...

This worked better but as you can see I wasn't pleased with the angle and the branch deciding to be in my way.



Despite I didn't really get dressed yet. I got jacket and shoes and tip-toed around the house. I figured that eventually it would get scared off so my tactic was to take a "roll" of photos and try moving a bit closer.

I ended up with about 200 photos and here is a selection of the keepers.

















The hmm sort of funny thing about all of those is that I took them standing in my pj's in the back yard with the cold freezing wind blowing up under my jacket, fingers freezing and eyes tearing from the cold wind and end up with these photos.
Other times I am heading to the mountains hiking up and down in search for something like this but come home with nothing like it...


Ohh btw. I think it's a Coopers hawk that's about a year old or so. Once it grows up it will have red eyes and the chest colors and pattern will change.
Here is more info on Cooper's hawk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good shooting! Odds favor Sharp-shinned Hawk rather than Cooper's, and this is confirmed by most of the field marks. Still, this is a good bird to find in the back yard.

Pdyrholm said...

Ahh thank you.
All I had to go by is the little field guide and it's kind of a toss between the two of them.
So if odds favor Sharp-shinned Hawk I will believe it :-)