Friday, October 24, 2008

Stony man mountain - revisited

It may be raining but it's finally the weekend. Soo I got a chances to put up a few photos from a small trip to Stony man mountain in the Shenandoah.

Last time I had a few hiccups so now was my chance to fix those and see how far fall has progressed in the mountains.

Stony man mountain is pretty good because there is a great view and the walk up there is "just" about 1 1/2 mile or so (compared to the Overall run falls) that's really not much to speak of :-)

Getting to the top of the mountain takes you through the woods and if you use your ears and eyes (I can't believe how many people zooms through and see absolutely nothing) you will see deers, squirrels, birds and chipmunks. And with a little imagination the trees can form a lot of interesting shapes too :-)

Here the photos start off going up the trail to the mountain top.











Getting to the top of Stony man mountain there is a great view of skyline drive and the Shenandoah valley. The view of skyline drive from this position is also what is featured on the front of the map of skyline drive.











Just as I started heading back some clouds covered the sun and the sun rays were kind of special. So I managed to get a few shots and the head on back. This time I knew I was in good time and the walk back to the truck was down hill so :-) much better than the last adventure.







On my walk back I was looking for the little things hiding here and there. I found a "snake" on my way... see if you can spot that one :-)
And well I got some nice fall impressions and small wild flowers growing here and there.
There is just something special about the afternoon light falling on different subjects. It adds that golden glow :-)

















Ohh yeah and I did meet one of the local residents. First time that has happened and I only had a short amount of time to pull out the camera so not the most steady shot I got ;-)



While being on the top of the mountain I got another panorama made. I am a little behind on the stitching of those but here is one to show off the view.



Ohh yeah and check out the other trips too:
Shenandoah - Overall run falls
Shenandoah - Stony man mountain in march

No comments: